Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pertinent points


Sewing by a Window by William Kay Blacklock


 When contemplating new items for your wardrobe you may ask yourself some very pertinent questions such as these:
  • Who do I live for?  ( Whom do I want to please the most--myself, my husband, the crowd I hang with, the people at work, other women, other men, I don't care, my whims, the Lord ?) 
  • How much money do I want to invest?  Cost of item divided by number of times worn equals value.
  • How often will I wear it?
  • Am I getting/making it to keep up with current fads or is it a classic style?
  • Is it a flattering style for me?
  • Will the colors make me look my best?
  • Will I look feminine in it?
  • Will it look seductive at any angle?
  • Will it work with other pieces that I have to make my wardrobe extend ?
  • Does my husband (or parents, if young ladies) like it?
  • Does it draw attention to my face, my countenance?
  • Do I have time to get it sewn?

Sewing Machine Ad, 1900
Photo by Buyenlarge/Getty Images

No comments: