Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Prepare for November 23, 2016, "Tie One On Day"!

The Letter, 1898


by James Hayllar
    What a wonderful thing the apron is!  What a delight we can find in such a simple thing as an apron!

My mother had a variety of aprons.  Many were gifts and used for different occasions, always pressed and fresh looking.   Pictures of her mother as well as my father's mother were taken with their aprons on, simple white ones with a simple front and ties around the neck and waist, and, of course, roomy pockets.  The above illustration is so quaint and colorful  with special embroidery and trims.  Even the painting on the wall shows a woman with an apron on!

I have been searching for a good deal on Mary Mulari's Chatterbox Apron Pattern and haven't been able to pick one up in our surrounding area.  I was planning on making one for my sister when I visit her this month.


http://craftwarehouse.com/chatterbox-hostess-apron/


It is reversible and looks cute with the added contrast colors.  It would be simple to sew and carry with me to her home.  I usually like to take something  that I have made especially for her.  While searching for this pattern I came across this Tie One On website and thought they promoted a great idea.


 Basically you make or buy an apron  and wrap it around homemade bread or baked goods and present it to a  selected person with a note or prayer, etc. and share it with a grateful heart.  So, that will be my project for her this year.

There are many cute reversible aprons available.  I found a few at Cabbage Rose.

I am also trying one of the larger aprons that criss-cross in back which I found at Maven Patterns.



There are numerous patterns for aprons.  It really depends on your tastes.  There are very feminine styles as well as just plain work aprons that stand up to all kinds of chores.  I do prefer the ones that cross in the back rather than tie around the neck.  I just take the neck strap, cut it in half, and add 12-20 inches more, depending on your build and attach it to the where opposite waist ties are attached by putting it on and crossing the long neck ties over your back and attaching them to each waist tie opposite and sew them down.  You can use buttons if you prefer  not to have to pull the apron off over your head.  Velcro might work, but I haven't tried it.  I put the apron on first so I can pin and adjust the comfort of the crossed straps in back.  It is easier to have someone help you, but one can do it otherwise.  Maybe you might have some easier solutions for not having to wear a neck strap.



There are free apron patterns on the internet:
http://www.simplyfrugal.ca/free-apron-patterns/
http://craftstew.com/sewing/38-free-apron-patterns
 http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/22423/free-patterns-for-three-apron-styles/page/all

I like sewing aprons because there is little fitting and fussing and they are quick and easy with only a few seams and limitless possibilities.








                                                    These above were all found on various websites.

Check out this post by Nancy Zieman on Tie One On Day for last year's suggestions.

May you enjoy the apron season and be inspired to share one.

No comments: