Sunday, March 11, 2018

Finished my Cleo and then made some more!

Cleo Pinafore and Dungarees by Tilly and the Buttons





I found this cute pattern as I like jumpers and this one comes from the UK so they label the style different than we do in the US.  I did adjust and alter it and made it come several inches below my knees and made it flared rather than straight-skirted.  It fits fine and works great as a pull-over dress and is very comfortable!


I did pocket variations putting some of the front and some on the back and most of the bib fronts with pockets.  I like pockets and always try to have at least one on my garments.    These jumpers are more for practical purposes  in the house and around our property.  

They really sew up quickly as there are 2 major pieces with front and back facings and pockets.

It is marked for beginners and is very easy to sew.   It is all made on the machine.  The only  hand sewing is attaching the buttons.  She offers one for young girls and it would be an excellent garment for them to learn to sew.

I purchased the digital version and the copied out my size and before cutting out I took a yard stick and just made the skirt flared from the hips down, adding something around 8-10 inches to the hemline making the hemline slightly curved.  It worked out a lot better than I expected so I raided my denim and heavy fabric stash and ended up with  6 garments.  I made a rose colored one first that ended up too short and I will send it to the used clothing store in another town.  The fabric should be heavier and have more body to it as will wrinkle quickly otherwise.  I made mine from denim, corduroy, and twill.  Choose a color that will be a perk for you this spring.  It is a very comfortable jumper with little fitting issues.  Basically you use your waist and hip measurement for the correct pattern size. Always make a sample first.


Please pardon the poor  picture set-ups, but I just wanted to show that these were quickly sewn in a week being a spring inspiration for me.  The buckles I found in  my button stash from a close-out sale long ago.


This is a little better view of the angle of flare on the skirt.


I found that topstitching with heavier threads really works best with the proper needle.  I have now purchased some 90/14 chrome and topstitch 90/14 needles. I also plan to get some microtex needles for quilting and I have ordered the titanium ones and will use them for sewing and quilting.  Please check this site and this site for needle information which is quite thorough and helpful.  I did the double stitching with the largest twin needles, Schmetz Universal Twin Wide 6.0/100 and it worked fine with regular thread but not with topstitching thread. The pockets need to been sewn with one needle so you can turn corners.  Fortunately the impression of neat topstitching is from a distance!  Looking closely shows the flaws.  It is not necessary to topstitch but it holds the heavier fabrics flatter and also helps keep the facings in place.



 There are times when one must wear more practical than pretty clothes, however, I believe this pattern would work well if you have floral or geometric designs that would go well with plain tops.  That would make it look more feminine!

No comments: